![]() |
| ○Jim Altieri Photography, 2015 |
Head Choreographer, Student Director and Mentor Kevin J. Kelly of New Haven is getting noticed.
Kevin was selected in November of 2014 to choreograph a modern ballet for opera, "Virtue" by Christopher Theofandis of Yale. Within a week's time, he had choreographed, taught and danced, along with other cast members Des'Tahnee and Aissatou, the piece to accompany the New Haven Symphony Orchestra, local opera talent, and the Elm City Girl's Choir. But it didn't stop there.
After the two sold out performances at St. Mary's Church in New Haven, Kevin was fortunate enough to receive recognition in the form of support for further developing his craft. Both The New Haven Ballet and Elm City Dance Collective have given Kevin scholarships for dance.
We asked Kevin about these experiences and here is what he had to say.
Q: How did you feel when you were given these scholarship opportunities?
A: It was amazing. It was amazing, I'm going to tell you why. It was amazing because first off, I really didn't expect something like this, and just because it just randomly happened it really shocked me and surprised me with joy and gives me more confidence in myself. Like it brings me to a higher point, and like, and I just really love it. I appreciate it.
Q: So you said a random happening, you think this was random? You didn't do anything to really deserve it?
A: I mean, not just that, I think that, like, I worked so hard for it to happen, it's just shocking, it's like I do everything I can to get to this point.
Q: So let me ask a question about what you meant by "you worked hard to get there." Did you know that you would get a scholarship, or you worked hard for something else?
A: I worked hard for myself. I wasn't trying to get anything, or nothing, I just worked hard for myself to try and make myself feel accomplished.
Q: What were the circumstances for which you did get the scholarship? Like, what prompted these people to award you?
A: I guess that they just saw something in me that I didn't see at first, but now that I've grown, and all these people are telling me that I really have talent, I see it now, so, and I'm really thankful for that.
Q: So you couldn't listen to your director when she first said it?
A: It wasn't like listening, it was believing.
Q: But, I asked, how did these people find out about you? How did you bring their attention to you?
![]() |
| ○Jim Altieri Photography, 2015 |
A: Ah, well, my director [Ms. Francis.] My director, she helps me a lot, got me with the New Haven Symphony Orchestra opera thing for the piece I choreographed. At first, I was kind of skeptical, but, I really involved myself, and put in the effort.
Q: When you choreographed that, did you really think it would be a breeze, or were you concerned?
A: At first I was concerned, but then I started to really get into it and found myself really liking the music and really loving my choreo.
Q: My last question, what's the future for you as a dancer?
A: My future (he pauses), cannot be told yet.
Q: Is dance in your future?
A: Dance is definitely in my future.
![]() |
| ○Jim Altieri Photography |




No comments:
Post a Comment